Q&A: Elevated Scott – Empire State

Innovative business executive and media personality Elevated Scott understands that his international dealings in both the recording and marketing industries have landed him in elite company. Born Scott McDowell, the Maryland native’s newest digital venture, x101Jamz.com, broadcasts from Daddy’s House Studios, Sean “Diddy” Combs’ legendary Times Square recording facility. Not surprisingly, Scott encountered one of his many mogul peers recently while there in the New York establishment. “I’m in the lobby signing in and Bryan ‘Birdman’ Williams [of Cash Money Records] is beside me,” he says with laugh. “There’s a lot of history in that building.”

Scott has been building steadily, using graciousness as the center piece of his growing digital empire.  The foundation: independent artists from around the world and solid connections with marquee brands and chart-topping artists. His internationally acclaimed Global Attack Mixtape series set the tone; X101Jamz along with MixTapeSeries.com and International-HipHop.com are striking tremendous vocal cords. Scott works tirelessly and diligently to ensure the artists he supports around the globe–and his vision–are seen and heard as clearly as a new building erecting in Manhattan.

Elevated Scott talks about his plan for making history in this exclusive interview with SoulTrain.com.

SoulTrain.com: Scott, you stepped into the spotlight as a true game changer with the Global Attack Mixtape series.

Elevated Scott: I’m contacted by so many artists from so many different parts of the world; from the UK, Africa, Spain, Canada, Italy, Ireland, and Asia just to name a few. I thought about the great job being done with the Coast 2 Coast mixtape series, but decided to go outside the box by going global since I do have relationships with talent internationally. And with all original music it’s great to have all these artists come together on one project, and it was something that had never been done before.

SoulTrain.com: But now you appear to be changing the game of your own game.

Elevated Scott: Yeah, more or less. Starting out it was a lot of trial and error. Now I’ve switched the entire Global Attack Mixtape from just featuring artists on a mixtape to providing a complete marketing program for each Global Attack artist.

SoulTrain.com: You were already providing them prime exposure. How have you improved this by changing it?

Elevated Scott: We provide them with website features, radio interviews and spins, record pool blasts to 60,000 DJs, and we have digital and physical distribution in which the artists earn royalties. Then of course there’s my newest digital property, MixTapeSeries.com, where we host, promote and review artists’ mixtapes.

SoulTrain.com: Why does the international market seem more open-minded when it comes to how music is presented?

Elevated Scott: Everyone in America sees the glitz and glam of pop culture, and some of the benefits certain artists are able to acquire. Everybody tries to gravitate toward what they’ve done. Not everyone can be a pop singer. Every rapper can’t be the next Jay-Z or Lil Wayne.

SoulTrain.com: Those artists are regarded as measuring sticks. So up-and-comers feel they need to be just like them.

Elevated Scott: Yeah, but these international artists have a niche, a very unique style or sound. They have great things they can offer their fans, proving they really appreciate music. It’s part of their culture. Here in America it’s so oversaturated it’s hard to really develop a true fan base for one particular artist. Too many people want the same things. But in the end true talent rises.

SoulTrain.com: With all the travel and networking you do outside the States, how do you handle security? Not everyone is friendly to Americans – their businesses or ideas.

Elevated Scott: Security is easy. I always hire great guys to make sure everybody is safe. From a PR standpoint you can’t make everybody happy. I’m well aware of that. Everybody’s collecting haters. If you don’t have haters then you’re not doing something right.

SoulTrain.com: Even with a positive approach like yours negativity is unavoidable?

Elevated Scott: I always expect to have some negativity involved. I’m not looking to please everybody. That’s unrealistic. I’m looking to attract people who understand my global vision, and people who want to get involved with a movement on a larger level. If some people don’t understand the vision, well, we appreciate the support of those who do.

SoulTrain.com: You’ve secured a prime location in Daddy’s House Recording Studios for X101Jamz.com. As an executive with so many notable accolades already, one who looks to provide so much for others, what’s the initial reward for you?

Elevated Scott: The initial reward for me is to continue to build my portfolio so I can one day look back and look upon all the steps I’ve taken and imagined, and be thankful I was able to make history. I’ve been involved with Island Def Jam, Konvict Muzic, and I worked with XBOX Live on the College Lacrosse video game. Now I’m stoked to be calling Bad Boy studios home base for my network! X101Jamz has me pumped! I’m helping to give indie artists major opportunities!

Elevated Scott: Wait: How did you end up involved with a lacrosse video game?

SoulTrain.com: I have a background in lacrosse. Being from Baltimore, I came up in a very lacrosse-rich area. I was a college lacrosse player. I have a lot of friends who continue to play at high levels. Some of them are sponsored by Nike and have their own lacrosse equipment lines. They’re really doing their thing in the sport. There’s a college lacrosse game for XBOX Live, and for the 2011 edition I did some of the music supervision and got some of my friends aligned. That was a no-brainer with my background and relationships with some of the game’s greatest players.

SoulTrain.com: Lacrosse is a very aggressive sport. Do you think your background with it helped you be more aggressive with your business tactics?

Elevated Scott: Absolutely! If it wasn’t for lacrosse I might not be here talking with you today! Without it I never would have been able to get an education. I would have never been able to make the types of connections I have in the business world. I’ve developed these connections through being able to gain employment, from having an education, and being involved in certain types of circles. Lacrosse has a ton to do with the type of person I am today.

SoulTrain.com: What are you hoping people will learn from your many music and digital ventures?

Elevated Scott: Honestly, the biggest thing to learn is there’s great music being made some places in the world that may not have great exposure outlets. It’s basically our job to support these talents, to keep an open mind to understanding there’s some great music out there. We need to open our eyes and not be so closed-minded. Great music is being made every hour of the day.

SoulTrain.com: With global intentions do you believe music can influence unity?

Elevated Scott: Absolutely! There’s a lot of leverage between what an artist says in a song and what they’re feeling. Having songs and being able to relate to someone’s music is something I really think is powerful and moving. It can definitely bring people together, without a doubt.

SoulTrain.com: Besides what you do for a living, how much of your personal life actually involves music?

Elevated Scott: Honestly, this is pretty much all that I do – 24/7!  Without music I wouldn’t be able to live the lifestyle I like to live. I’m always either listening to music or sending a track; there’s so many things going on it’s hard to keep up! Without music I don’t know what I’d do!

Connect with Elevated Scott on Twitter @ELv8scott, and visit X101Jamz.com, MixTapeSeries.com, International-HipHop.com, GlobalAttackMixtapes.com, and ConcertShowPromotion.com.

–Mr. Joe Walker

Mr. Joe Walker, a senior contributor for SoulTrain.com, is an acclaimed entertainment and news journalist published thousands of times regionally, nationally, internationally, and online. Former Editor In Chief of both XPOZ Magazine and The Underwire Interactive Magazine, his work has graced the pages and covers of Hear/Say Now Magazine, Notion Magazine, Kalamazoo Gazette Newspaper, MLive.com, and AllHipHop.com. He loves to create, loves that you read. Follow him on Twitter @mrjoewalker. Also visit TheGrooveSpt.com and ByMrJoeWalker.blogspot.com.

31 Comments

1. Bluebirdkitty says:

Mr Elevated is the hardest working person in the business wold.

2. Firan Chisolm says:

Congrats bro, keep up the good work…

3. Big Steve says:

“Elevated” Scott is a fucking joke. The only thing elevated is his ego and the bullshit lines he spits about what’s he’s done. Why would you need security to travel abroad when you don’t even have a passport? This guy has a fake it to you make it mentality, and unfortunately it’s about 99.9% fake it. He’s a black sheep. People do know him, but they hate him and avoid him like the herpes infection he is.

4. Ash says:

Total douchebag and he’s broke as fuck. No money, no place to live, no car, no girl. LOSER!

5. general says:

this trash ass fraud scammed me out of $125 and from the looks of the drug consumption he is committed to maybe he really needs the money but elevator snot is a fucking scam arstist and a fraud and he hasnt seen the last of me yet PEOPLE PLEASE DONT LET THIS VERMON SCAM YOU OUT OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND YOUR DREAMS

6. general says:

elevator snot is a scam artist: talking about he worked 4convict music’ that dud is a “CON”

7. Ask says:

I bet he’s a coke head

8. Devin says:

Check pages 8-9 of MUSIC PLUG NEWS PAPER

9. DJ says:

Scott w/ Bonnie Pointer of Pointer Sisters

10. Scott says:

Gotta love the hate and the love but hey my portfolio speaks for itself… if you dnt have haters your not doing something right…

11. Ash says:

I can tell you’re educated. You can’t even spell correctly and your is supposed to be spelled as you’re you fucking white trash loser.

12. Ash says:

I agree. He’s a total loser, his family dosent even want him around. He had no place to live, has no car, no money, no girls, he’s overweight and takes advantage of people. He puts people down to make himself feel better. He’s a coke head and thief. Look him up on case search Scott McDowell

13. @ELV8SCOTT says:

iF IM SUCH A BUM WHY ARE YOU GUYS WASTING YOUR TIME WITH YOUR HATE? ASH AKA MARY YOUR JUST MAD THAT I WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU AND YOUR NOTHING MORE THAN A SHOT GIRL AT HUSTLER CLUB ON THE BLOCK LOL AND GENERAL YOU DID NOT FOLLOW MY SYSTEM AND MARKETING PROGRAM SO IF ANYTHING YOU SCAM YOURSELF CAUSE YOU DID NOT FOLLOW THE SYSTEM I HAVE IN PLACE. iM STILL WILLING TO RUN THE CAMPAIGN AND PRODUCE THE RESULTS WE PROVIDE FOR OVER 300 CLIENTS WORLDWIDE. FACT OF MATTER IS IM HERE ON SOUL TRAIN AND ALSO HAVE A ENTIRE PORTFOLIO OF PROOF OF WHO IAM AND WHAT I DO SO PLEASE DO ME A FAVOR AND GET A LIFE… ANYONE NEEDS PROOF ON WHO IAM CAN SEE http://WWW.ITSMYURLS.COM/ELEVATEDSCOTT

14. Ash says:

Still Livin off McDonald’s? And sleepin on couches? Bahahaha. Fake ass loser. I’m pretty sure women turn you down, you don’t even drive. And I heard you get rejected from artists and have to beg them to talk to you. Elevated Scott AKA foster home reject :)

15. Elevated Scott loves haters says:

Mary your a 28 yr old shot girl working at hustler club living in a basement in pikesville lol. Stop taking my rejection so hard and blowing up my phone and stalking my press coverage. Your right I do not have a car because I live in NYC and its easier to hire a car service or simply take the train, no one drives in NYC. I have 300 clients worldwide like i said look at my portfolio http://www.itsmyurls.com/elevatedscott its sad that you try and act this way your 28 yrs old. GROW UP. I grew up in a group home not foster home you fool and i dnt eat mcdonalds anymore ive upgraded to checkers. lol

16. Elevated Scott loves haters says:

Dear Mary aka ASH lol this reminds me of you …..

Time Saving Tip of the Day: Don’t waste time attempting to convince an idiot that they’re an idiot!!!!

17. Elevated Scott loves haters says:

: Don’t waste time attempting to convince an idiot that they’re an idiot!!!!

18. Elevated Scott loves haters says:

Portfolio speaks for itself and thanks to SOUL TRAIN FOR THE FEATURE : http://www.itsmyurls.com/elevatedscott

GET A LIFE

19. Ash says:

Bill collectors are blowing your phone up, not girls. You’re 28… you live on people’s couches, have no money, no respect, no one wants your broke ass. If you’re so successful then why are you homeless? Get a life and a job and stop acting like you own shit. You don’t even have a place to call home. I feel sorry for you.

20. Haters Gonna Hate says:

Mary your hilarious lol Im debut free but nice try and I def dnt live on a couch but thats a nice try though i told u i was visiting bmore and staying with friends that is not living but hey i love ya hate it shows i must be doing something right. I have an apartment in Astoria Queens if you like ill provide u the address but its all love ur a joke and clearly a useless hater. Im far from rich but hey the come up is always the fun part atleast im not 28 and a shot girl at a strip club on baltimore street and rent a basement room. Im building my business and traveling all over the world and have 300 clients like i said i have a portfolio http://www.itsmyurls.com/elevatedscott im building equity and clearly i must be doing something right with SOUL TRAIN writing about me but hey as I mentioned in my interview IF YOU DNT HAVE HATERS YOUR NOT DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. Fact of matter is your mad cause i smashed and then gave you the boot. I would have to have to hire my lawyer to sue you for slander. I know clearly who this is as I have tracked your ip address Mary. Your not even a college grad and your 28 living in pikesville basement an area i left from in 2002 to see new things in life and your not even hot enough to be a stripper thats why your just a shot girl. If i dnt own shit and dnt do shit why do i have an entire portfolio to prove who iam and what i do… http://www.itsmyurls.com/elevatedscott

I wont be replying to anymore of your claims and slander as the next contact will be from my lawyer and Im sure you dnt want to try me. Since im so broke ill sue you for some of those dollar bills ur earning at hustler. 28 years old and you dnt even have a degree and you work at a strip club and live in a basement. Are you seriously trying to throw stones when you live in a glass house?

My lawyer will be in touch…… READ MY PORTFOLIO SEE WHO IAM

21. Correct grammar please! says:

Learn to spell and use grammar correctly. Your lawyer should help you with that.

22. Time Saving Tip says:

Don’t waste time attempting to convince an idiot that they’re an idiot!!!!

23. Grammar says:

Good use of they’re. You still need to work on the difference between your and you’re.

24. mastermind says:

Hate? Why is so much hate in the music industry?

25. mastermind says:

I have met Scott several times and attended some of his recent events so let ppl make a educated option after reviewing this…. http://x101jamz.com/tribeca-urban-arts-showcase-2-0/

26. mastermind says:

I hear he is doing a yacht party this spring…. Must be doing better lol

27. John Stevens says:

I think we all need to come together on a global level, just like scott is doing with his projects and people need to stop hating he is a man of high values and character. Things work better when they work together so ppl lets unite and build for our childrens future…