Resting In Love, Peace and Soul

Statement from Soul Train Holdings, LLC CEO Kenard Gibbs:

We are overwhelmed with the news regarding the passing of Don Cornelius. Our deepest sympathy and thoughts are with his family at this time. He was a true television visionary  and his contributions to African American culture and music entertainment are immeasurable. The outpouring of affection and tributes to his legacy are a true testament to the profound impact that his life’s work had on many generations. – Kenard Gibbs, Partner/CEO Soul Train Holdings, LLC

By now, you have read reports of the passing of our beloved Don Cornelius on AP or other credible news sources. We at SoulTrain.com are saddened to hear the news and are praying for Mr. Cornelius’ family and friends. At this time, please take a moment to share your love through a comment below or on our Facebook fan page. In the spirit of support and positivity, share your favorite Soul Train video from our video gallery, YouTube page or tweet us your most memorable Soul Train moment today.

Wishing you Love, Peace and Sooouulll

1936 – 2012

144 Comments

1. Laura says:

This is such a shock. My condolences go out to his family and friends. Rest In Peace, Mr. Cornelius.

2. George Cruze says:

In the summer of 1969 I was an engineer at WVON radio in Chicago. Don Cornelius was working there as a news reporter. He read the hourly newscasts in straight standard Broadcast English, but every so often he got the opportunity to do an air shift as a DJ. He would sit down in his sharp but conservative three-piece suit and suddenly become the Don Cornelius we remember from “Soul Train”. I always got a kick out of the contrast. I will remember Don as smart, serious, a complete professional and a true gentleman.

3. JR in Dayton, OH says:

Don Cornelius was an inspiration to all of us who followed him and were fans of Soul Train. I am “torn up” as a result of learning of his untimely death. May he rest in peace with the knowledge of the great joy he brought to those of us who “grew up” in the 70’s.

4. Connie says:

Peace and Love, Mr. C. Forever in our hearts.

5. Sabrina says:

I am truly saddened at the tragic loss of a such an immensely talented and gifted entertainment pioneer. Let’s remember his contributions and celebrate his life and legacy. We love you, Don and I think you knew that.

6. Al says:

May you rest in peace brother Dan

7. Liz says:

I am deeply saddened by this news. I grew up in Chicago watching Soul Train weekly and dancing in front of my tv. I loved Don Cornelius and Soul Train! My love and sympathy goes out to his family & friends. We loved you Don.

8. Keith Aaron says:

Gone but never to be forgotten! Thanks Don for your contribution to the entertainment industry. You were very inspirational!! May you rest in peace…. And our prayers are with your family!

Keith Aaron
    STEINBERG ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

9. Linda says:

Thank you for Soul Train Mr. Cornelius!! May you rest in peace~
    Condolences to his family.

10. Gwen Kidney says:

I cannot believe that this icon, Don Cornelius, has died. I grew up watching soul train. My wardrobe and dancing were influenced by the dancers on the show for many years. My first glimpse of many R & B acts were on Soul Train. Many of them got their exposure to the world because of Don. He will always be loved and remembered for his contributions to African American culture.

11. tanda says:

rest in paradise mr . cornileus one of chicago’s greatest treasures.

12. Tim says:

I’m almost 50. I grew up watching soul train. He had one of the most unmistakable voices in the world. Thoughts and prayers.

13. Allison says:

Uncle Don – may you Rest in Peace. I don’t have a single childhood memory without Soul Train in it. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your love of musicianship and your desire to give our artists a chance to sing in front of their own.

14. RIP Don,
    I remember going to soul train every 4 weeks from 1978-1984
    from San Diego, Ca. Chuck was Don”s Dance cordinator we had
    do much fun. Those days are gone forever. Myron Montgomery, Joyce Robinson(Agu)
    Jody Watley, Jeffrey Daniels, Cheryl Song and my self Christina Foucher-Day. In time we must remember all the times and the most famous
    Christmas Party Don gave every year it was the biggest event of the year
    May God Bless You Don. You will be missed

15. Rebecca says:

I grew up watching Soul Train. It was a show that I could watch abd I knew they would play the music I loved with the dancers who were the best. Don Cornelius was very classy and charismatic man. His show gave millions hours and hours of entertainment and for that we are all grateful. I wonder if he fully understood how much he changed the culture of America and R & B as he showcased all of the amazing music they gave us.

May he rest in peace.

16. Rebecca says:

I grew up watching Soul Train. It was a show that I could watch and I knew they would play the music I loved with the dancers who were the best. Don Cornelius was very classy and charismatic man. His show gave millions hours and hours of entertainment and for that we are all grateful. I wonder if he fully understood how much he changed the culture of America and R & B as he showcased all of the amazing music they gave us.

May he rest in peace.

17. Music is the healing force of the world, and Don Cornelius administered it like no one else did, can, and ever will. Rest in Love, Peace, and SOOOOOOOOOOOOUL!

18. Mark says:

R.I.P. Mr. Cornelius.

May God bless your soul.

And love live “love, peace and soul”

19. Ronda says:

I grew up dancing with Soul Train. I am so sorry to hear this sad news. My prayers for his family and friends.

20. Iris Hamm says:

I would hurry up and finish my chores on saturday before soultrain came on. I would often be by myself and could do the Soultrain line from one end of the house to the other and did I do it. At 16 I got a chance to meet one of the soultrain dancers who was visiting a friend and did he put on a show for us, they called him “Killer” and was he good. You had to be to be on Soultrain. I pray for his family, and those family members that live here in Detroit, Ken you know the Hamm family sends their prays. May you rest in peace. Soullllllll.

21. Jtpizzo says:

This so very tragic. My Mom and I used to watch Soul Train every week when I was a kid. I used to love it when Damita Joe would dance with Joe Tex while he was performing. Oh and the Soul Train Scramble Board. My Mom and u would rave to see who figured out the word first. R.I.P Me. Cornelius and thanks for such a great show. Love, Peace and Souuuul!

22. Monique says:

My condolences to go out to the family. I grew up watching Soul Train.

23. Teresa says:

My prayers goes out the Cornlius family and friends. My Mr. Cornelius rest inpeace.

24. GeGe says:

Rest In Peace Don, we loved you and we will forever be grateful to you for all that you did for us all while you were with us. May God have mercy on your soul, it is sad to know that you took your own life, but only God knows what was troubling you so……..you are at peace now. Prayers are with the family at this time, for them to have understanding and peace. May God bless you all at this time of bereavement.

25. Steve says:

You changed my life Don….R.I.P. brother.

26. DOWELL says:

R.I.P DON

27. Sherry says:

My Brother, My Brother….
    Why did you have to go……
    As a little blonde white girl…..
    I loved your show…..I loved your show…..
    You taught me to dance….and move like a snake…..
    You taught me how to do all the moves and how to shake.
    I know you mustve been sad to end your bad ass life…
    But this week youre partyin with Etta…..
    She too lived a good long life.
    I too wanted to die a few times in my life…..
    I tried it too but I guess the Lord made me go through the strife.
    But now youre restin at ease and all your pain is gone….
    Just remember that this ol gal will remember that long song.
    SOOOOOOOUUUUUULLLLLLLTTTTRRRRRRAAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!
    RIP My Brother Of Color. Im dancin in your Honor this nite.
    Sleep Tight.

28. DrJacki says:

extremely sad, untimely loss, my prayers for his family & friends

29. J Michael Littwin says:

Thank you for the musical insprations of my youth, bringing all the new talent and having a show where the people are the stars. You have done great things with your life and touched everyone of every color all over the world by helping to put music and creativity with in reach of the every day person. Creating a legacy that spans decades and into the future, your work will insprire those who are not even born yet.

Thank you sir.

30. Milly says:

I am so sad to hear this news, my brother and I use to go on Soul Train in Chicago when it was on the 43 floor of the Board of Trade Building. I remember Don Cornelius wearing a long leather patched coat and hot pants, made in the same design, he would keep up with the styles, he had a lovely voice. I am so happy I got to see him again at the Soul Train Reunion in Chicago Last year. I pray that just maybe he was cleaning his weapon and it accidentally went off. God we lift up his family and love ones to you for comfort and peace.

31. eldridge davis says:

I am deeply saddened by the passing of Don Cornelius. I grew up with soul train and it was one on the things that kept black america together. I will miss you Don and will “LOVE” you forever and a day….ELDRIDGE DAVIS

32. sad in Atl says:

I am so sadden also shocked hearing about the passing of a huge Icon in my teen years, I.remember every Saturday morning waiting for soul train to come on to see the lastest styles,music also dance moves. The passing of Don Cornelius is the end of a era, of love peace and soul,I hope he is finally at peace

33. Judy says:

As a white suburban girl in a heavily segregated Southern state, I learned about the “coolness” of Black music, dancing and style through Mr. Cornelius. It took losing him today to realize how important he was, not only to Black culture but to all of us who grew up with Soul Train. I just sent my kids an email so they could see the line from the hip hop they love back to Don Cornelius, whose name they probably never knew. Rest in Peace, Mr. Cornelius and thank you. You made a much bigger difference than you knew.

34. Nathaniel Williams says:

Don Cornelius opened the door for many artists as well as behind the scenes personnel. Nat Williams and the Dry Dells got an opportunity to perform TV commercials and jingles that were aired during the Soul Train TV show about Drakes Fruit Pies. Our commercials were the first African American doo-wop radio and TV commercials of their time. To Don’s family, friends and fans: God be with you. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTWP2Lg64Ns
    To Don: Thank you for your innovation! Love, peace and soul to you on your continued journey from this life. ~ Nat Williams

35. Hypestyle says:

Rest in Peace, to Mr. Don Cornelius, blessings to his family. His pioneering vision will always be remembered and appreciated.

36. Karen says:

Don Cornelius was one of the most iconic, innovative, talented geniuses that has ever lived. He opened so many doors for so many people (whether in music, dance, production, fashion, etc.); and I find it catastrophic that he died on the first day of black history month being that he definiteley accounts for a huge chapter of black history and leadership. His influence and character will never be forgotten. He brought the best music, dance, and fashion to the entire world!
    Love Peace and Soul forever <3

37. Valerie Murray says:

When someone takes their own life, the sadness is magnified. May his soul rest in peace with our Lord! Indeed, Mr. Cornelius is an intricate part of television history.

38. Barbara says:

I have the best memories of dancing to the music every Saturday as my grandma and I watched Soul Train. And how many weddings did people form a Soul Train!!!! This is so sad. I wish you peace Mr. Cornelius.

39. dixie says:

am a brooklyn giral who wished your show was there i just no i would have met you and been on the show . r ip loved your voice love ya .

40. My condolences to the family.
    I pray that the ETERNAL ONE give you strength and peace in this time of sorrow.
    Let the words from 1 Corinthian 15 and Psalm 23 be of encouragement and hope.
    Shalom
    Pastor Frantz

41. Jan T says:

Strangely, I’d been thinking of Mr. Cornelius for the last couple of days. Wondered about his health and what he was doing. So sad this happened.

He was a pioneer in American entertainment who showcased major talent. He’ll be missed. Rest well, Mr. C.

42. 1st let me say … whatever was going-on in your life that caused this to happen, you have my deepest sympathies. 2nd I’d like to say … without SOUL there would be NO music. Born in 1963 in sh**-kickin’ east Texas cattle country, cowboy boots, cowboy boots & the whole she-bang, I was probably the only white girl in my town to ADMIT to being a SOUL MUSIC LOVING-FOOL. My turntable playing Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Gladys Knight, AL GREEN, Marvin Gaye, Bary White and the list goes on. MR. CORNELIUS … putting music & visual together was a mind bogglin’ thing to a girl like me. You touched my life. Just want you to now that.
    regads, love to the family,
    REST IN LOVE PEACE & SOULLL
    sincerely,
    Melanie

43. Yvonne says:

I am so shocked and so deeply saddened by this news. RIP Don. May you find the comfort and peace in death denied you in what should have been your golden years. God bless you, Don and THANK YOU.

44. Lee says:

As a young white boy in the (only white) suburbs of Boston, watching “Soul Train” weekly was just: WONDERFUL !
    Everything about the…… show: . . . the dancers, . . .the music, . . .
    and of course – – – – Don Cornelius, . . . were SUPERB.
    His contribution(s) to Amercian culture will live on forever, and I still occasionally search You-Tube for the old-shows to play for my University students here in northen China where I now live/work. They LOVE it!
    And now another generation and different culture will benefit from Mr. Cornelius’ ..SOUL TRAIN . . . MAGIC ! !! !!! Gods’ Speed.

45. Ohgeezus says:

Damn,….how many pieces of my childhood have perished in recent years. I Love All Ya’ll and I appreciate living in the time of Michael Jackson, James Brown, tEENA mARIE, rICK jAMES, ODB, Guru, Pac & Big, Minnie Riperton, Heavy D, Luther, Teddy, Vesta, Phillys Hyman, H Town(Lead Singer), Intro(Lead Singer), Passed on members of Parliment/Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, Nate Dog, Mac Dre, Big Pun, DJ Srcew, Pimp C AND ALL YA’LL THAT HAVE INFLUENCED ME SINCE 1969. DON WILL NOW REST IN LOVE, PEACE, AND SOUL and you can bet your last money,…it’s all gonna be a stone gas honey……Peace Brother

46. Josie from Florida says:

I too feel like Judy above, I’m an Italian American and grew up with Soul Train. And couldn’t wait till the show came on. I grew up with all races and loved them all. Thanks you Don may you see my number one Michael Jackson in heaven. Peace, Love and Soul….

47. Terry says:

A true pioneer who will be missed by all but never forgotten.
    Blessings and condolences to the family and friends.

48. S.M.T. says:

Don Cornelius was THE one who paved the way, opening American culture and bringing black America into homes around the world. The early and continued success of Soul Train — A Don Cornelius Production, showed the way for so many who followed in music, TV and beyond.

We owe Don Cornelius a debt that can not be repaid, except through “Love, Peace. and Soul”

49. Emme says:

Is this website seriously using the death of Don Cornelius to promote it’s Facebook page and Twitter?

50. DeAndrea says:

Mr Don Cornelius, thank you for the moments we shared together on Soul Train! Although i was only about 9 years old at the time, you made my saturdays worth it. “Sitting in front of that tv watching my brothers and sisters do their thang, the way they did their thang.” There was nothing else like it and there will never be! So unfortunate. Childhood for some of us with limited opportunities,… being able to see ourselves on tv, at that time, AND to have our favorite singers and artist for 1 whole hour OMG!!! That was the most Awsome! and today i texted family & friends “I wish you all Love, Peace and Soul”, and everyone felt and shared in that moment with me. This moment just takes me back to a great time growing up as a child. I thank Mr Cornelius for giving us Soul Train. RIPeace Love & Soooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllll !

51. Tim McLane says:

Bye Don.

We’ll miss you so very much.

52. Jason says:

Don Cornelius left the world a better place and he’ll be missed.

53. Saidi Medi says:

Thank you Don!!!

Love……….

54. gripongravity says:

wow!!! he lost it!!!!

55. Cedrick says:

Wow,
    This guy was super classy on Soul Train. He made a lot of artists in the 70’s and 80’s famous by having them on Soul Train. A lot of people owe him gratitude.
    He was an American Icon

56. Gregory Freeman says:

I was shocked and saddened at once when I saw the notice on the Internet this morning. Big Don was our Man back in the day, led by his passion and professionalism. I borrowed his line “…you can bet your last money..” whenever I knew I had an advantage. Soul Train was the do not miss show of the week. I fell for a different female dancer every week. I am in my late 50’s and will always be old school, and memories of Don and the big train will help me hold true to that.

57. Tom says:

I keep reading everything about the “black” audience, I am as NOT BLACK as one can be… But I still watched Don on Soul Train religiosity… RIP Don!!! You will be missed!!!!!

58. Rest in peace Mr. Cornelius! You will be forever in our hearts, soul & memory. Long life to what you did in the music history! Thank you!!! Hugs from Barcelona!

59. sha68ed says:

He was the man that brought our Music/Artist/Dance visually to the WORLD…Saturdays was a great day NO school–SOUL TRAIN came on–We all wondered what guest were coming on and the end of the show to see the SOUL TRAIN LINE. Who knew we were having an enjoyable history lesson…… Rest in Peace Mr Cornelius.

60. Teresa Burks says:

As a southern seventies teenager and then young adult, I loved watching and dancing to Soul Train and enjoyed hearing Mr. Cornelius deep, smooth voice.
    I want to express my concerns to his family, friends and other fans around the world. I want to also say to him, “Thanks for providing we of The Jackson 5 Generation with great music (and dance) memories. Thanks also for providing us with heartwarming memories of Michael.” (Please tell him we said hello).

61. Mimi says:

While driving I heard a news flash about Don Cornelius and I nearly crashed my car, I actually had to pull over, my heart just broke. I would like to extend my deepest condolences to the family. This is truly and end of an era. Don, forever R.I.P. and may the Angels dance the Soul Train line around you….

62. Timothy Swan says:

As a disc jockey for nearly 37 years and a long-time fan of Soul/R&B music since I was a small child, I had always admired what a true visionary and creative genius Don Cornelius really was. Although I never had the unique opportunity to ever watch any episodes of “Soul Train” while it was on the air, I did know a great deal about the program throughout the past 40 years from a variety of different sources. Like “Hullabaloo”, “Where The Action Is”, “The Midnight Special” and “American Bandstand”, “Soul Train” was the perfect showcase for many talented performers who presented their music and varied abilities into the small screens across the nation. To that degree, we are forever grateful for the lasting contributions that Don Cornelius made to television. Thank you, Mr. Cornelius and thanks for he memories. GOD Bless You!

63. Angel says:

Every Saturday morning as a ttween (wasn’t called that back then) I remember getting up and looking at soul train and the girl with the afro puffs and the girl with the long hair down her back. I would dance like them and they didn’t show too much legs and they didn’t dance inappropriately. It was definitely a different an innocent time. When we just enjoyed looking at ourselves on TV having fun. It is sad that such an icon was going through such turmoil in his life at the age of 75 that he felt he had to take his life. I wish his soul peace. I pray for his sons and the rest of his family.

64. Stephen McMillian says:

I flew back and forth from New Jersey to Los Angeles every month for six years to dance on Soul Train starting in 1999. It was one of the most enjoyable fun experiences of my life that I will never forget. I thank Don Cornelius so much for giving me the opportunity to be seen on nationwide television. He is a trailblazer and pioneer in so many ways. His legacy will never be forgotten. R.I.P. Mr. Cornelius.

65. Benny Barksdale, Jr. says:

Rest In Peace Don. Although we have never met, you were much loved by all of us & will be sadly missed. Soul Train was one of my favorite programs every Saturday afternoon. May your soul rest in peace & God be with your family.

66. Olivia says:

I’ve watched Soul Train from the beginning and every Saturday, family and friends would complete their chores, go to the laundry mat and come home to watch “Soul Train”, especially if my favorite group the “Jackson 5″ were being broadcasted. I was shocked to hear the news about Don Cornelius, but will always remember his cited words “…and you can bet your last money…. love,peace and sooouuuullll!!!!!!!” R.I.P. Don Cornelius!!

67. Bay Bay Cotton says:

R.I.P. Mr. Don Cornelius. Thanks for blessing the world with the gift of Soul Train. I never missed an episode and I still watch Soul Train. It is the hippest trip in America. There will never be another ride like it.

68. This is truley a Great Loss for ALL People in the Entertainment feild, Mr.Don gave so many People Shot’s at making it Big. I remember when Soul Train first aired and the only thing I wanted to do was get Home and watch Soul Train. My most memorable moment was when Mr. Don had the Jackson 5 on and M.J. turned it out with the ROBOT,Will never forget that Moment. There’s so many Moment’s,I can’t name them all. To the Family of Mr Don Cornelius We would like to send our deepest Condolences. May He R.I.P.

GOD has Truly called Home one of His Angels.

69. Carter Hickman says:

I’m 55 years old now and I got to know about all the latest fashion and African American music in America by watching Soul Train. To this day I use his closing phrase when I talk to anyone. I prayed for him yesterday.

He was truly an American Treasure !

70. Eddie says:

R.I.P. Don, I used to watch your shows when I was growing up in southeast Los Angeles. Each show was like a fashion show to see what others were wearing at that time. The music and artists on the show were awesome. You will be missed !

71. This is a very sad wednesday for the Soul Train dancers and viewers. Our longtime hosts and parting friend, the creator of Soul Train, Don Cornelius passed away from home from a gun in his head. The 75 year-old man who not only hosted his saturday afternoon show. But he became a philadelphia dj from his days with WBLS-AM to his creation of the Soul Train Music Awards and almost countless guest appearnaces and almost 35 years with the show. Soul Train had a good idea to built a new website with full episodes and clips from the Soul Train Line a dance we may not heard in a while. Don sets the standard between American Bandstand and America’s Top 40 and Solid Gold. We bet our last that is all gonna be a stoned gas for his honey. We’ll missed his work and his howling voice off the train. But more than that, we’ll miss a primed caring and parting friend who made music everyone would listen. It’s always in parting, we wished Don Cornelius, Love, Peace and Soul. Thank you, Don for all your memories. BET, TV One, BET Jazz and Centric has more saturday at 8am.

72. Tracie Brockington says:

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Don Cornelius passing. He would be the last person I think of as one who would take his own life. It just shows that we are all human. I will alway remember him as a legend. I’ll never forget spending saturday mornings watching Soul Train, imitating the dancers , and jumping up to do the Soul Train line. My heat goes out to his family and he will be sorely missed.

73. Mark says:

As a suburban white kid I tuned in to ‘Soul Train’ to broaden my horizons. Thank you Mr. Cornnelious, for what you did for ALL music-not just ‘black music’. R.I.P.

74. Jason KIng says:

Don may you rest in peace with God and hisAngels you will be truely missed. thanks for every thing you did for all of us and the world.Condolences too all your Family wil be in my prayers.
    R.I.P. a true frind too all.

75. Big RON says:

I FEEL LIKE I, WE LOST A HUGE SUPERBAD ICONIC FATHER FIGURE. HE WAS MORE THEN THE HOST OF SOUL TRAIN, HE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST NON THREATENING BLACK MAN ON T.V THAT WE COULD JUST HAVE FUN WATCHING AND GROOVING TO. ALONG WITH THE SOULTRAIN DANCING FAMILY THAT’S WHAT IS WAS FOR BLACK AMERICA WATCHING OUR FAMILY ENJOY THEMSELVES EVERY SATURDAY, IT BROUGHT FAMILYS TIME TO A HIGHER LEVEL OF FUN & LOVE. THANKS D.C. U WILL BE TRULY MISSED.

76. C. E. Howell says:

I am very shocked and saddened by the passing of Mr. Cornelius. He was an American Icon and I hope and pray he has found peace in his return to the Creator.

77. Julius says:

RIP Mr. Don Cornelius. I started watching soul train back in Nigeria in the late seventies. He was an inspiration to ALL Black People aroud the world. You will be greatly missed. My prayers goes to the family.

78. Stacie Young says:

I remember every Saturday morning we sat in front of that tv and watched Soul Train. My brother and I never missed an episode. Like a lot of people it was part of our lives our history. We all did the Soul Train line we all danced to the music played on the show and we all got up and wished love peace and soul. Don Cornelius was a true inspiration for his love and dedication to music and politics. You will be missed dearly. It was like loosing a part of my family. So this one is for you Don wishing you Love, Peace and Soul. I hope your soul is at peace now.

79. richard stone says:

i will miss him very much iused to watch the show i send my love to his family richard stone

80. Carol Vaughan Davis says:

We all have but a moment on God’s green earth. Don Cornelius was a pioneer, loved by all. He shared his life with us and said goodbye. At the close of each broadcast he said Love, Peace and Soul. Let’s live that.
    Rest In Peace Don.

81. Jordan says:

I wish things had been happier for you, brotha…

REST IN SOUL, Don!

82. Joyce says:

I remember getting up early on Saturday mornings and getting all my chores done, so I could watch “Soul Train” when it came on. I loved the Soul Train line and me and my sisters would form a line and go down…LOL What wonderful memories. Thanks so much, Don, for bringing us such happiness. ‘And you can bet your last money, it’s gonna be a stone gas, honey’. RIP. You will be missed.

83. Bernadette Pendleton says:

My heart is deeply sadden, Don was my uncle whom I never had the honor of meeting but heard a lot about. May he rest in peace. Lord please bless the rest of the family those that knew us and those that didn’t the world has lost yet another (Uncle Curly Cornelious–first) now Don. Rest in peace Uncle Don.

Love your niece

84. Two years ago,and I was feeling nostalgic,so I googled Mr. Don’s name and I was happy he was still with us. (Am in my early 50’s)
    But for this unglamorous end.
    Very sad though.
    I can hear the intro in my mind…
    We were lucky to watch the syndicated series,in Lagos,Nigeria at that time.
    We aped the dance styles,the dressing etc
    May the good Lord accept his beautiful soul.
    It is a lesson that what the elderly needs most is companionship but they tend not to bother the younger ones.
    .rest in peace

85. Nia Sankofa says:

An American icon (Mr. Don Cornelius) has physically left us, yet he has left an indelible imprint on so many of our souls. Most of us would be up performing our Saturday morning chores of house cleaning, doing laundry etc. preparing for Sunday services and the upcoming week…If you were not seated in front of the TV already….once you heard the voices of S.O.S. and sound of the Soul Train on the T.V. you would immediately stop to watch.

You would sing the song during the intro and at conclusion of the show. I can still hear it now. You would wait to see the hair styles, the fashions (platform styled shoes, bell bottoms, midriffs etc), to check out and try to get all of latest and coolest moves. Oh my goodness and midway into the show, you would try to figure out the soul train puzzle on the scrabble board that no one ever got wrong and, of course, the Soul Train line will forever exist.

Dr. King once mentioned that Sunday morning was the most segregated time in American, there is no doubt in my mind that Americans were united on Saturday mornings (now a social network of sorts) to look at Soul Train….Thank you Mr. Cornelius for sharing your vision with us and for providing a platform for us to see the artist, old and new, to come out and shine. They knew that when they made it to Soul Train that they had truly arrived. Soul Train……will 4-ever be the hippest trip in America.

86. Jo Klein says:

Rest in Peace Don Cornelius. I always thought that Soul Train was way cooler than American Bandstand.

87. mario chavez says:

Don Cornelius was a unique soul without a doubt his contribution to soul / black music was amazing during the times where love was the theme on most of the songs. I was a fan of soul train for many years and a dj during that time and for me was a joy to be part of that era of the 70’s that for many of us was truly one of the best times of our lifes !!!
    RIP
    Don Cornelius
    and may God bless always for your charisma and great voice on your tv show the Soul Train !!!

88. staci weaver says:

I’m deeply saddened about his loss. I remember waaay back in the 70’s “PEACE,LOVE&SOUL!” He’ll deeply be missed,R.I.P. DON.C. Hope they play ol’ shows on bet,mtv,vh1.He really was a stand up man, we all miss him.

89. staci weaver says:

MY FAULT ” LOVE,PEACE&SOUL” LV-U

90. WOW, OMG, WHAT A BLOW, I NEVER EVER, WOULD HAVE BELIEVE DON CORNILUS, WOULD EVER GO THE WAY HE DID, MEANING, THE WAY HE fAUGHT SO HARD TO GET SOUL TRAIN STARTED, AND KEEP IT GO N DO MANY YEARS OF BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, I WISH HE COULD HAVE FOUND ANOTHER WAY OUT, ONLY GOD KNOW, I feel so hurt, because he cheated his self of his greatness, and Bless so many of there greatness, my Father I wish him much Love, Peace, and, save his soul,Amen:)

91. gisela says:

miss u don rip and lots of love,peace n soul

92. gisela says:

miss u don rip and lots of love,peace n soul to u

93. Mrs. Kandi Nelson says:

I remember being in my teens and enjoying Soul Train on Saturday mornings. Learning some cool moves before the party on Saturday night, what a blast, many happy memories and of course the STARS!!! Don may you rest in peace…Gone but never from our hearts. It would be nice to know what some of the former dancers are doing. I know that Darnell is a successful actor. What about some of the others like: Damita Jo, etc.

94. Trent Billups says:

My condolences to the Cornelius family. One of the legends in music. My wife would sometimes use his signoff phase when she was a substitute teacher at the end of the day. It’s great that the young people have a chance to see Soul Train on YouTube etc.

95. Cindy says:

As a white teenager in the ’70’s in NY, I never missed one Saturday morning for Soul Train! I was unusual because I was from an upper class Long Island family and not many whites I knew watched Soul Train! I later was in the entertainment/disco business, and all my Soul Train moves paid off! It was my favorite show, from the great music, clothes, dancing train! Nothing can replace it. Don you will be so missed. I hope Soul Train lives on until eternity. I wish I knew why he did what he did, but he is at Peace now, Love & Soul my Brother! God Bless.

96. 70sOldSchool says:

The legacy of Don Cornelius will be the Soul Train show. I was just remembering when we would save our allowance or school lunch money to buy Right On Magazine (is it still around?). The Soul Train dancers would be featured in the magazine. I still remember Damita Jo Freeman, Tyronne Swan (he was so fine!), and of course Jody Watley & Michael Henderson who went on to become the group Shalamar, just to name a few. Television station 23-2 Bounce (converter box channel, not cable) in Chicago airs the 1970s Soul Train shows. It is funny now to look back at the dances, big afros and clothing styles (I can’t believe we dressed & moved like that). Don Cornelius also showcased new musicians & let audience launch new dance moves. Those were some good times. Thank you Don Cornelius.

97. 70sOldSchool says:

Don…You dont know how many lives you affected in a positive way. I was a young girl that never got asked by boys to go to dances, but I would watch Soul Train and learn all the latest dances and see all the musicians that I couldn’t afford to pay to see. It was a happy time and a happy show. I looked forward to seeing the fashions of Don, the dancers and musicians. I will lay some flowers/balloons at your street sign @ Halsted & Madison in Chicago.

Yeah, I remember going home from school in 1970 and watching Soul Train on a black & white TV on WCIU Channel 26 (we had to keep adjusting the antennae to get good reception). The show was broadcast in Chicago and was not all glitzy. I never went down to the studio but you could tell it was small. I just read that it was only a 10’X10′ room. I would look for classmates dancing. I remember it being hosted by a guy named Clinton (Clint) Ghent. He took over the Chicago show when Don Cornelius moved the show to Los Angeles, CA.

98. Victoria Fain says:

I’M LEFT SPEECHLESS @ THE THOUGHT OF LOSING SUCH A GREAT MUSIC PIONEER, WHO PAVED THE WAY FOR SO MANY ARTIST TODAY~~~MAY YOUR MEMORY LIVE ON MR. DON CORNELIUS, EVERY SATURDAY MORNING I MADE SURE I WAS IN FRONT ROW SEAT IN MY LIVING ROOM IN FRONT OF THE T.V., BACK THEN WE DIDN’T HAVE REMOTE CONTROLS YOU HAD TO GET UP AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL….WE DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY, BUT ONLY GOD KNOWS BEST……MAY YOU FIND REST IN THE LOVE OF GOD, AND PEACE TO YOUR WEARY SOUL:) My prayers are with you family as you go through this difficult time of such a great loss:):) May the peace of God that passes all understanding keep you…Amen:)

99. Martha Dancy says:

Thank you Mr. Cornelius for introducing those of us in very culturally isolated parts of the world to all the beauty and music – what would I have ever done without Kool and the Gang, the Commodores and so many others. “…and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace… and SOUL!” Hope you have a great strut down the “Soul Train Line”.

100. DAWN (LOVEMEFIRST) says:

I WOULDN’T GO OUTSIDE ON SATURDAY AFTERNOONS UNTIL SOUL TRAIN WENT OFF. EVEN UNTIL THIS DAY I WATCH THE RERUNS OF ALL THE SHOWS. R.I.P DON CORNELIUS U WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

101. Mozell Sharod Smith says:

I just found a YouTube video of DON HIMSELF dancing on the Soul Train Line with the 70’s Supremes. It really cheered me up. If you’ve never seen it, search “Don Cornelius Soul Train Line” on YouTube.

102. Mozell Sharod Smith says:

OMG … That’s a part of the same video. Anyway, that is the way I will always remember Don.

103. LisaC says:

RIP Don Cornelius ” And as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soooooouuuuullllllll.”

104. Lucia says:

Thanks for the memories! Go into the light and enjoy the Love, Peace and Renewed Soul!

105. InezG says:

Joining you eventually in the Looooonnnggg SoulTrain Dance Line in HEAVEN Cool Brother, Man!! Thank you for sharing your love of Music, Dance and Coolness, showing us What the WHAT really was!

106. MY HEART GOES OUT TO DON CORNELIUS FAMILY IN THEIR LOST.
    TO TONY CORNELIUS, HOLD YOUR HEAD BRO. YOU DIID A FINE JOB WORKING BY YOUR FATHER SIDE ALL THESE YEAR. ON BEHALF OF ROGERS MUSIC PRODUCTION AND AM1570 HERE IN CHICAGO, WE LIKE TO SAY THANKS DON FOR GIVING SO MUCH TO AIM FOR, IT IS BECAUSE OF YOU I’M IN RADIO. MUCH LOVE . MAY HEAVEN FOREVER SMILE ON YOU. I PARTING, YOU CAN BEAT YOUR LAST MONEY IT’S ALL GOING TO BE STONE GAS HONEY, LOVE PEACE AND SOUL TO THE ALL TIME GREAT MR. SOUL TRAIN DON CORNELIUS. REST IN PEACE. ELDER SAM RADIO PEARSONLITY AM1570.

107. gphi says:

I don’t know a life without Don Cornelius & Soul Train. When I first read of his passing, I was shocked & saddened. Rest In Love, Peace, & Sooouuulll Mr. Don Cornelius. PEACE!!!

108. DJ's Francadelic and Morefunk says:

We’ll have a SOULTRAIN Disco tonight!
    and always remember Don showing us the way
    to realy get down! WE FUNK !
    peace and love from Holland

109. jt says:

Don – I loved you so much. I am so sorry about your passing. I hope to see you in paradise again in heaven and may God give you peace. You will be remembered for the rest of my life. Love jt

110. Lena says:

~I come from a different time in life, a time when Soul Train was going down. Life was different then, everyone was dancing everyone was groovin’, we were all trying to find our way and make things right.
    Soul Train was on absolutely everyone’s TV on Saturday morning, black, white, asian, hispanic, it didnt’ matter ~ Soul Train did for my generation what we were trying to do on a larger scale out in the world ~ it brought everyone together. And we’d all be practicing our dance moves, and dancing in front of the TV. I watch the reruns all the time, because even though, out in the world there was strife, Soul Train was pure happiness.
    God bless you, Don for all that you did for us. You will never be forgotten.

111. Larry says:

May peace be with Don’s family. Thanks Don Cornelius for contributing so much black love, beauty, style and music to African Americans and to the world.

112. M.O.I. says:

AT ONE TIME IN HISTORY, IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR BLACK PEOPLE TO READ OR WRITE, SPEAK OUR NATIVE AFRICAN DIALECTS, CONGREGATE MORE THAN 2 AT A TIME. WE WERE TAUGHT TO HATE OUR CULTURE, HAIR, SKIN, EVERYTHING ABOUT OUR PERSONA & TO LOVE EVERYONE EXCEPT OUR SELF’S TODAY, SOME OF THESE OPPRESSION’S STILL EXISTS. BEGINNING IN THE ‘6O’S THERE WAS EXPLOSION OF AFRIKAAN RE-AWAKENING OF OUR GLORIOUS CULTURE/HISTORY (BEFORE JESUS WALKED THE EARTH). “SOUL TRAIN” IS 1 OF THOSE ENTITIES THAT WASN’T BOURGEOIS, POLITICALLY CORRECT,OR TRYING TO SET TRENDS.
    “SOUL TRAIN” WAS “FUBU” (FOR US BY US). IF ANYBODY ELSE WAS “DOWN”, “COOL”. IF NOT, “COOL”. WE WERE GOING TO “DO OUR THANG” REGARDLESS TO WHO DID OR DIDN’T LIKE IT. AKA AS “BLACK POWER”.
    AHSANTE MR. CORNELIUS, FOR HELPING SHOW THE WORLD WHAT “BLACK POWER” IS AND CAN BE FROM A SPIRITUAL, CULTURAL, & BUSINESS PERSPECTIVE. “…AS ALWAYS IN PARTING, WE WISH YOU (MR. CORNELIUS), LOVE, PEACE,( WITH THE ELDERS THAT HAVE GONE BEFORE YOU), & SOUL…

MUCH LOVE,

113. Rose says:

May your soul rest in eternal peace Mr Don Cornelius. I remember watching Soul Train religiously…I looked forward to watching the talented dancers and musicians who appeared on the show. Everyone in my neighborhood tuned in to see the latest dance moves ! Soul Train brings great memories to my growing up ! My prayers are with the family of Mr Cornelius at this time and all of the fans of Soul Train.

114. my soul brother don you will be missed you were already missed when the show went off the air so ,love, peace ,&soul i was shocked when i haerd it i remember as a child when soul train would come on nobody would be out side playing until soultrain went off it would be our hippest trip in america keep the soul train line going .

115. Elizabeth says:

Don Cornelius = genius. Soul Train is STILL the best show for old school funk. I love it and will always love it. Don, one day I hope to shake your hand. I dance like Steve Martin, so I won’t spoil the Soul Train Line.. but I love watching those who groooove! RIP.

116. Carnell says:

I grew up watching Soul Train.It was a part of my brother and my Saturday Morning routine(The day wasn’t complete until the ending credits were rolling).I watched it until I was about 20 years old(1990).I was a year old when it went in syndication,becoming a nationally viewed television program.I have so many fond memories of tuning in weekly and seeing which guest would be performing.Watching the dancers, and the fashions they were wearing was always interesting too.Don Corneluis helped launched the careers of countless artist.He will always be a legend and a trailblazer.My prayers to the family.He will never be forgotten.He has earned a place in history.

117. Hank {{ class of '73 }} says:

So sad from this unexpected news of Don Cornelius’s passing.
    Went straight to my heart cuz that show waz very significant in mine and my friendz high school years.
    Not only my friends and neighbors and fellow Chicano’s, but also many African American, Asian, White’s that went to school with all watched the show.
    We watched it faithfully and enjoyed Don’s
    presentations of the new talents. Like Al Green, Chilites, Dramatics,
    and countless more.
    Will never forget him and what he provided for us at a critical part of our lives.
    See you up there someday Don.
    R I P,
    Don Cornelius

118. Eric Tornow says:

I watch soul train every saturday night on KOOG CH 30 @ 11:00pm back in the 90s and my favorite dance program because I like Don Cornelius and the Sexy Soul Train Dancers including The Girls In Pantyhose!!! I’m truly sadden that he passed away.I will sent out the entire Cornelius friends and family to love,peace and SOUL!!!

119. I can never forget the soultrain line, we as children use to enjoy the dancing and the musical guest on soul train. It is as though a lifetime of soulful people have left us within the last decade, R.I.P. MR. Don Cornelious.

120. L. Riley says:

I have been suffering with depression since being diagnosed with breast cancer twice. The only thing that makes since to me is that he was ill and that he did not want to be a bother to anyone.

I don’t condone suicide, but I do understand that at times, you can’t take it anymore. I hope he is resting in peace.

121. JUNJUN says:

DON CORNELIUS will not be remembered for what he did to end his life, he will be remembered and celebrated for what he did to make the lives of COUNTLESS OTHERS ENJOYABLE during the time that he could bring JOY TO MILLIONS when he was able bodied in a combination of mind, body, and spirit to do that which he was put here to do. Lets continue to remember all the laughter he allowed many people to take part in and know that that was his true purpose. None of us know which direction we will be forced to take toward the end so we have to be thankful when we are given a chance and run with it and thats what he did. He ran with the chance he was given and in doing so opened the door for dozens of others.

122. Gregory says:

My prayers go out to the family of Don Cornelius. Because of Soul Train, I have a better appreciation for great music. It was good, clean fun. I wish that the shows today would follow after Mr. Cornelius lead and learn that real talent is timeless.

Thank you Mr. Cornelius for giving us Soul Train.

123. raul prz says:

without a doubt the number one music,dancing tv show in the history of the usa and mr. Don Cornelius made it happened RIP .

124. I did have the opportunity to be a soul train dancers for a short time. i won a local radio station dance contest. the winners prize was a trip to LA to appear on soul Train . it was a dream come true Don Cornelius was a great dude a bit quite, and kinda stand offish, but very KOOL” I a total of 9 shows meet some many stars and super stars and eat KFC everyday for lunch. that was a milestone in my life as a dancer LOVE YOU SOULTRAIN STAFF

125. Crystal says:

I send love and prayers out to the Cornelius family, the Soul Train staff, the dancers and all the fans around the world whose hearts, like mine, are heavy right in through here. I am going to take the Love, Peace and Soul Don Cornelius gave me and move on with it with a smile … in remembrance, appreciation and grattitude. Personally, I am profoundly thankful and grateful for the blessing it is to have danced on his show during all of my twenties and almost half of my thirties. There is no comparison to that experience for that many years and seeing that dedication and willingness to step up and out and create a dance and music show, and then awards shows so we could see ourselves on television and feel good about it. I’m looking forward to a continual celebration of his important life’s works. Most important to me is that he lived and what he was blessed to be able to do in his life by taking the art of television production for a ride on “his train,” the Soul Train, and making such exciting television history while helping so many people along the way. Always respect. Always Love.

126. german linqui says:

soul train was and will always be a treasure don cornelius he is gone but his vision and love for music will always be there i watched every saturday when i lived in san francisco. I love to watch the old videos it bring back good times and special memories love and be in peace Don … we will miss u

127. caroline says:

To the family of Don Cornelius. I am praying for you to be able to understand why Mr. Cornelius did a sad act of taking his life. I know it was wrong but everything works for the glory of Jesus. Someone in your family will learn from his mistake. No problem in life is to big for Jesus to handle for you, so always stand grounded …….. Do not let Satan win your battle. Our life was a gift from Jesus. I love you and you are in my prayers. I also was a Soul Train watcher and graduated of 1975.

128. Christopher Gagliardi says:

When i was young, i used to watch soul train back in the 1980’s on WPIX Channel 11 at 11am on Saturday’s and sunday mornings. I always was sincerely facinated by this remarkable program. Now I fully understand what Mr. C really did, HONESTLY. He made a program where all people, no matter what religion, no matter what nationality, etc. Evey single person, came together in one language, the language of dance and music.

Soul train started as the seed of change for the world and for our youth, to a true piece of historical significance to our lives. Don Cornelius is a original american treasure who will never be forgotten in our lives and in our hearts. Now, the train that began the jouney has taken it’s conductor to it’s final stop, eternal and glorious rest. Mr. Cornelius, our hearts may be heavy with tears, but we dance in joy and glory for you are in a better realm and in a better place because you made it better by something so profound. Thank you Mr. Cornelius for all that you have done. Good night sir, thou good and faithful servant, may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest, give rest o’ lord to your servant, who now has fallen asleep. Into thy father’s hands, we commend the spirit of Don Cornelius to you with Love, Peace and Soul, now and forever more.

129. DJ says:

Soul Train Music Mix! Tribute to Don Cornelius!!

130. Annti says:

I was horrified to hear of Don’s death. He’s one of those people who’s been a part of your life for so long, who always brings fond memories to mind, that you expect them to be on this planet forever.

I was raised by rednecks, so being able to sneak a look at ‘Soul Train’ was truly a forbidden treasure. It was my link to the outside world, a world where people of every origin could be together, dance together, and groove to the best music out there. Very very different from Crackerville, where minds were closed at birth with barbed wire.

So I thank the universe that Don Cornelius existed, though it saddened me to learn of his troubles later on in life. He was not perfect, nobody is, but he did the whole planet a great service, and for that, I will always remember his contribution to my life and to everyone else’s.

131. Jean Deler says:

Don Cornelius was instrumental and an innovator in bringing the soul of music, dancing and style to our television screens. His interviews with popular artist and performers gave us an inner glimpse to their true qualities. I remember many memorable interviews with acclaim artist such as Jermaine Jackson and many others. Your contribution are embedded in our memories.

132. 0ivae says:

Like “Annti” above, I also lived in a white rural area when I was exposed to Soul Train, thanks to the only black family in town, who lived in stables that had been converted into an apartment. -I was the paper boy and when collecting the paper money on one Saturday, Soul Train was on (1970s)… It was like the black version of American Bandstand and yet so much more… I then became a regular viewer.

A couple of years ago a local affiliate had been airing The Best of Soul Train, and I religiously taped as much of it as I could. So with the passing of Don, I have been replaying those tapes in his memory. Watching these, it only becomes more clear how much this show has influenced American culture, creating cross-currents of styles that otherwise might have remained ethnically isolated. With all that, why not even a mention of Don in the Grammies? Or did I miss it? -Even in the obituary segment of the awards, no Don Cornelius? – A glaring oversight on their part!

133. Kelli says:

The passing of Don Cornelius truly broke my heart. It was a deep, personal loss for me, and my sister. We grew up with Don and “Soul Train”. I watched it from the age of 4 until I was 22. I gradually stopped watching after Don stepped down as host. Some of the happiest moments of my life were watching “Soul Train” every Saturday morning. We wouldn’t leave the house until it was over, which secretly saddened me every week. Waiting for it to come on each Saturday was a total delight, one incredibly joyful experience. I don’t know if he ever knew it, but Don Cornelius touched numerous people’s lives. I’m honored to say mine is most definitely included.

My thoughts and prayers remain with his loved ones. I admired him so very much.

134. king j says:

one of the best – like king j music priceless at http://www.vibedeck.com/kingj

135. if Don Cornelius Soul Train Died on gunshot wednesday Feb 1, 2012
    i see news at 5:00am

136. Roberto says:

Soul Train I Think is one of the best programs i ever seen remember megreat memoriesfor the groupsperform I use to see the program saturday i really enjoy now bring me the days of soul train.Don Cornelius is the best nobady is going to be like him iremember him very well ,this music is the best we need this music again, and also soul train .Thank you so much for what you gave in your lifefor the artist you bring in your programs and the great music they sang you live many good thingsin your programs. Soul Train is great.

137. Roberto says:

Soul Train Is a great program i ever seen im my life Don Cornelius is the best he help many artist in his programs i remember him very well good memories from him thank you so much.

138. DEBORAH says:

watching soul train back in the 70’s was great fun we as blacks back then partied so much enjoyed each others company the house parties the neighborhood clubs we just had a great time hanging out in the parks the guys would get together with there bogos in a circle and get down know shotting no fighting just good times the medical doctors now say its good to laugh,dance and have fun,the dont have to tell black folks from back then that,they must be taking to white folks ,they use to talk about because laughed,danced song all the time,now look they finally caught up now they have created these shows like dancing with the stars,so you think you can dance,blacks have always be talented dancers straight from the streets the ones on soul train was just some of the street dancers the majority never went soul train but the were just as good,white folks thought black folks were sitting around sad,because of the injustice in this country now they saw when soul train hit the air what blacks were really doing,having a great time so you think you can dance,you not talking about black folks we knew we could dance and the whole got to see just a taste of what our party world was like,and as far as this younger generation of blacks you are a disgrace,you hate each other for know reason,you will never enjoy good times like back in the day i have a saying,to be black back in the day great times,young blacks get it together

139. DEBORAH says:

error in my last message,the whole world got to finally see how black people partyed and enjoyed each others company it was nothing but a party

140. DJ dr. Mario says:

Chicago will continue to represent a pioneer and an absolute legend in African American history as well as music history by way of a mass Soul Train line again in 2014 in the name of LOVE PEACE AND SOUL

141. Washington DC Girl says:

I want to thank Mr. Don Cornelius for giving us people that looked like me dancing, singing and having fun. He is truly one of the greatest Pioneers of our time. May he rest in Love, Peace & Soul. Right On, Don!

Trackbacks for this post

1. Today on TIDCS… A Tribute to The One and Only… SoulTrain Founder, and American Icon, DON CORNELIUS. President Obama & The Help The Homeowner Plan! TIDCS… RRRN… IDECLAIR IT! — IDECLAIR MEDIA
  2. Happy Black History Month.